Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pre-run: Broad Street














It's the night before the Broad Street Run, and I'm finally getting excited.  You may think I should have been getting excited for the last week or so, but you see, I've been sick.  I came down with a nasty cold last Thursday, and through a weekend in Denver and a week of work, I've been coughing, sneezing, and wheezing my way through each day.  It's only been in the last few days that I've been feeling better...and only yesterday and today that I even dared think I might be able to run Broad Street on Sunday.

I went out for a "test run" today, and did 1.2 miles at an average 15:32 pace.  That's much slower than usual, but I counted my warmup/cooldown - if I only counted the running time, it would be under the 15:00 pace that's required for Broad Street - so I think I'm good to go.  Of course, 10 miles is a LOT longer than 1.2 - but I think my lungs can handle the running.

I am most worried about the heat that is forecast for tomorrow.  Although the average temp on Broad Street day is around 60, tomorrow we are supposed to get up to 90 degrees - the hour-by-hour forecast on weather.com has us going up to 83 degrees by the end of the race.  That's pretty intense, considering I rarely run in that heat.  The race website has posted this note:

"Due to the predicted forecast and the fact that most of you have not been training in these type of conditions we are urging all of you to take the proper precautions relating to this situation. We cannot make decisions for you when you are the only one who knows how you feel. We are urging you to hydrate prior to race day and on race morning. The race is making extra preparations relating to the conditions and we hope that everyone will have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Runners are advised that on the race course fire hydrants will be used as sprinklers to keep the runners cooled down. Runners are urged to use the sprinklers along the course and to drink the water provided at the water stations. It is important that the runners must understand that the amount of cups provided are for the entire field of runners. It is up to you to respect your fellow runners and only take one cup at a time at the water stations."

Fire hydrants as sprinklers?  Awesome!  It'll be kinda like playing on the Slip-n-Slide when I was little!  Hopefully it doesn't get totally gross by the time I pass the sprinklers, though - since I'm at the end, I have a feeling it could be kinda muddy.  At least we'll stay cool though!

Since I've been sick, my race intentions are much lower than I had planned.  I intended on shooting for a 13:30/mile average pace (a little faster than my 9.8-mile run a few weeks ago), but since I've missed some training, the heat is going to be ridiculous, and I'm still not 100%, my only two goals are:

- "Pie-in-the-sky" goal: Finish in 2:22 for an average pace of 14:15/mi.  I can only do this if I'm feeling INCREDIBLE (for my sick self), the downhill is helping a lot, and the heat doesn't pick up until late in the run.

- "Ambitious" goal: Finish the entire 10.0 miles without getting pushed onto the sidewalk or forced onto a shuttle bus.  This would require a 15:00/mile average pace, for a total of 2:30:00.

- "Realistic" goal: Finish the entire 10.0 miles, even if the end has to be on the sidewalk after they reopen the roads.  Even if the last few miles are just walking.

I plan on listening to my body very carefully, and making sure that I'm not pushing myself too hard.  I hope that I won't make myself more sick again, and I hope that I don't have any trouble with the heat - I am super sensitive to heat!  If anyone wants to check my final time after the race (like, at least after 11 - maybe later if it takes a while for them to update the times), my bib number is 28462.

Time to go to bed - wake-up is at 4:45 am.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment